Monday, January 12, 2009

Attack of the Giant Ants

Events of Saturday, January 3, 2009

Location: Jamaica



Okay, so I don't wake up at 2:15 a.m. as planned. I've learned that nothing goes as planned. Flexibility is my middle name. After the drama of the night before, I decide to indulge myself and sleep in until 2:45 a.m. Woo hoo.

Alarm goes off - we leave the house by 3:15 a.m. to head to airport. Flight to Atlanta goes very smooth - but Atlanta has fog. We come down for our landing, and can't see anything. Five feet from the ground (no exaggeration) the fog clears and we land. Yikes. Scary.

Arrive in Montego Bay around 12:30 p.m. Now, remember - we're on a medical mission. We will be working in a clinic. We've brought medications with us. Lots and lots of medications. 19 suitcases full of medications. Now, imagine if you're a customs agent in Jamaica and 19 suitcases full of drugs arrive at the airport. We sit in customs for 2 hours while they go through every suitcase. I guess I don't blame them. But two hours??!

We get the all-clear to go, and we drive through Montego Bay to Falmouth, Jamaica - halfway between MoBay and Ochos Rios. Arrive at our dorm - get settled. We then walk down to the clinic and begin unpacking all of our drugs and supplies. As we walk through the village, we hear shouts of, "Doctor, doctor!" as people see us. Here's a photo of the sign at the clinic:


After dinner, which consisted of BBQ chicken, red beans & rice, and fresh tomatoes & cucumbers, we go back upstairs to our rooms to crash.

And then the fun begins.

I share a room with Rachel. We are talking, and notice a giant red ant walk in under the door to join us in our room. Uh, no - this isn't a room for three - sorry - so we send the ant to ant heaven. But then, another ant comes in under the door. And then another one - and another one (you're getting the picture here). YUCK! We're not talking little ants here, folks - these are monster ants that belong in Hollywood, starring in their own freakin' movie. Rachel and I are not amused - actually, we're rather freaked out by this, and can't keep up with this invasion. So - we take an extra blanket and stuff it under the crack of our door. Ant problem solved. You have to be creative when in Jamaica on a mission trip.

Now, to bed. Our room faces the street - and my bed is right below the open window. I lay down and begin to hear Jamaican village sounds - baby goats, roosters (why the h*!! can't roosters tell time??!!), barking dogs, people talking & laughing, loud reggae music - sounds I am not used to hearing in my nice, insulated suburban home. Takes a long time to get past the strange sounds, but eventually, sleep comes.

So - I'm hear in Jamaica, trying to do my part to save the world. Be sure to do YOUR part today to save the world - one action at a time, one day at a time.

Peace.

No comments: