Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Reverse Spin Crescent Kick Sucks



Confession: my reverse hook-spin-crescent kick really sucks. I'll explain.

I've been doing Tae Kwon Do now for about a year. Some people have asked how I got started...well, first, it was because I missed my daughter. Seriously. I was taking my DD - who's now 9 years old - up to TKD classes for the last 18 months. She goes 3 times a week. That meant that I wasn't getting to spend my evenings with her those 3 times a week - and I missed that. The other reason is simply that I can't say no. I was up at class one night, watching DD practice, and the instructor came around and said, "Why aren't YOU out here - doing this?" And I'm like, "WTH? I can't do that stuff - I'm too old!" He said, "You come to my next class and give it a try." Well, that was all it took.

So here I am...a year later...slowly working up the belt chain, determined to get my black belt before I'm 50. I think it's a good possibility that will happen. I'm at a green belt now - so I have a ways to go...but I'll get there!

In the meantime, I have my very first tournament this Saturday. I've got two events I'm competing in - one is on my form, (I'm doing En Wha 2), and one is weapons. And that's where the trouble is - I have all of my moves down, down well, actually - except for that troublesome hook/spin/crescent kick in my weapon form. It's my worst kick - I can't get lift on it, and I almost fall every time I land it. So, understandably, I'm a little nervous. It's not so much that I want to win, I just don't want to do too badly. (okay - I admit - I DO want to win, damn it. I'm competitive, I'll admit it.)

I enjoy TKD class. It's good exercise, that's for sure. Besides working on our forms, and working with weapons, we're also doing a lot of sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks - even the splits. We work on self-defense moves, sparring, and board breaking.


When it comes to board breaking - I'm pretty good when it comes to using my arms. They're strong. But when I have to break a board with my foot? Uh, yeah...that hurts. My toes aren't so strong - and it just takes one little bit of wrong positioning - and yikes - another broken toe. I would skip breaking boards with my feet if I could.


Self defense is pretty fun, as well. I look pretty tough in this picture - but I don't really know if I'd look that tough if I was actually attacked in real life. I'd probably look a little more freaked out. Oh well.


Sparring is a little more difficult - it's when we put our blocks and punches and kicks all together and use it to "spar" with a partner. I've got some good bruises and cracked bones to show for sparring. It's one of my least favorite things to do...but the kids in my class love it. I guess this means I'm getting old.

I also enjoy going up with my daughter. It's fun doing something together - so many times, as parents, we're sitting on the sidelines, just watching...but this is something we can do as a team...we can push each other, coach each other, inspire each other. I hope I'm teaching her that it's never too late - and you're never too old - to follow your dreams.

Now - excuse me while I go work on that hook/spin/crescent kick. It really needs a lot of work....sigh.

Peace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Taekwondo knows no age! It’s never too late to learn new skills, right? It’s so brave of you to take the challenge, and I must say that your daughter would surely be more motivated as you are also training. So, how are you now? It’s been almost 3 years, have you been promoted to a black belt?

-Saundra Tosh