Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm A Kindle Addict

I love technology.

I love gadgets.


I can't imagine life without my (not one, not 2 - but THREE) i-pods. My pink i-pod is my favorite.


I can't imagine life without my Mac laptop...I WISH I had the pink one, but mine is actually black. Darn.


And my i-Touch is pretty cool, too. I like to play games on it.


BUT - my favorite gadget of all? My Kindle. I LOVE my Kindle. Love it, love it, love it. Did I mention that I love it?

Kindle came into my life about 5 months ago. It's what I take with me now on mission trips, Red Cross assignments, and vacations. In the old days, I would have to pack 5-10 books in my suitcases, being the avid reader that I am. Those books would be heavy! And I would always have this secret fear of running out of books to read while I was away from home - the horrors of it! It would almost bring on a panic attack!

But - with my Kindle - those fears are gone. I have dozens and dozens of books with me on my trip - and if I "run out" of books to read? A quick few keystrokes, a push of a button - and I can have dozens more books to read within a minute. Cool, huh?

So what's on my Kindle? Good question....


"The Girl With the Pearl Earring" - by Tracy Chevalier... good book; although it was fiction, it has a lot of art history. I like Tracy's books - I have more uploaded, ready to read...I'll review them later.


"A Room with a View" - one of my favorite books of all times...I'm re-reading it in anticipation of our trip to Italy this summer.


I think I have every book ever written by Sandra Brown, one of my favorite writers....


...as well as every book ever written by Linda Howard....These books are great "fillers" - don't take a lot of time or effort to read, but they're enjoyable.


"Devil's Gate: Brigham Young and the Great Mormon Handcart Tragedy" - very riveting, as well as heartbreaking. I think this is one tragedy that could have been avoided.


"The Audacity of Hope" - by President Obama. Haven't read this yet - will get to it one of these days. I have all of Obama's books on my Kindle.



"The Shack" - I'm reading this right now - haven't formed an opinion yet. I think this is one of those books you either love or you hate. We'll see.


I also have the Bible on my Kindle - it's nice to take my Kindle to Sunday School class at church and have easy access to what we're studying...

I have dozens and dozens more...a lot of true crime, a lot of historical stuff, some romances, and a few inspirational books. One of these days, I'm going to sit down and do nothing but read all day. (yeah, right - that will never happen in this lifetime!)

So..I have my Kindle and my world is a good, safe place. I will always have my books with me. Sigh...life is good.

Peace.

No comments: