Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends



As I've gotten older (and wiser, perhaps?), I've realized how important girlfriends are.

Yesterday, I had lunch with three girlfriends who I have not seen in a long time. Back in 2001, one of the ladies got it into her head to start a play group in our neighborhood for the kids. My youngest was just 2 years old, and so the four of us "moms" began meeting every single Friday morning for a 2-hour play date. Without fail. Rain or shine. We would rotate hostess duties - and while our kids played, we would chat and gossip and laugh and share funny stories.

Play group ended as the kids got older and we got busier. Although we all still live in the same neighborhood, we just hadn't gotten together in a while. It was good to get together (without our kids now - they're all in school!) and reconnect.

Then, today, I was invited to a Ladies Spring Luncheon by a former classmate from high school. The luncheon was fantastic - good food, good drinks, good shopping, and then a fashion show afterwards. I had a lot of fun meeting new friends and sharing laughs...and then going over to Suzie's house afterwards for more socializing.

Girlfriends are very special - I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I am always telling my own daughter, as well as my Scouts in my Girl Scout troop, how important it is to keep your girlfriends close and keep the friendships strong. That support you get from them can be amazing. As I've been fighting this cold now for almost 2 weeks, that support has come in handy, for sure!

I like this quote I found: "Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." - Anais Nin

So - get out there and explore new worlds, but keep your existing worlds close!

Here's to girlfriends...cheers!

No comments: