Monday, August 31, 2009

10 on Tuesday: Favorite Ballplayers



Another Tuesday - another Top 10 list. Because of my recent focus on baseball - what with the pure awesomeness of Zack Greinke - I thought I'd do a list of my favorite all-time baseball players - by position. Now - if you're smart - you'll say, "Drama Queen - how can you do a Top 10 when there are only 9 positions on the field??" Don't fret, dear readers - we'll throw in my favorite reliever. Voila. Problem solved! So - my Top 10 of baseball players - not necessarily the best - but certainly my favorite!

Pitcher: Satchel Paige
Dizzy Dean once said that Satchel had the best stuff of any pitcher he'd ever seen. And he was certainly the coolest pitcher ever. Zack Greinke is slowly moving up on my list, though - this was hard to just pick one pitcher. I'll stick with Satchel.

Catcher: Yogi Berra
How can you not like a guy who says, "You can observe a lot just by watching"???? Yogi was a hoot.

1st Base: Lou Gehrig, New York Yankees
Can anyone watch "The Pride of the Yankees" and not cry at the end???

2nd Base: Jackie Robinson
I think it took a lot of courage for him to break the color barrier...imagine the death threats he received....

3rd Base: George Brett
Played for my own Kansas City Royals - and I had a HUGE crush on him.

Shortstop: Honus Wagner
My maiden name was "Wagner" - so I used to tell people that we were related. (We aren't.) If you don't know who Wagner is, you're not a true baseball fan. Google him.

Right Field: Roberto Clemente
Not only was he amazing on the field, but he was a hero off the field. This guy gave back to the world and made a difference. Tragically died way too soon.

Center Field: Ty Cobb
Lived hard and played hard - arguably one of the greatest players ever. And he was a Coke fan - my hero.

Left Field: Ted Williams
Excellent hitter - and nicknamed "The Thumper." I had a cat named Thumper once - so this was a no-brainer.

Reliever: Dan Quisenberry
Another Kansas City Royal - with an almost unhittable submarine pitch.

So, there's my list...my 10 favorite "boys of summer." Some you may agree with - some you may not. But that's the beauty of this blog - its my blog and therefore my opinion! If you don't agree - start your own blog!!!

Peace.

No comments: