Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thursday Thank You: Pets


Another Thursday (barely) - and so another time to express appreciation.

(I know, I know - I should be expressing appreciation every day rather than just once a week - but who ever really does everything they're supposed to??!! Certainly not me. But that's another blog entry for another day.)

Anyway - back to the topic on hand. Appreciation. Because it's the Thursday thank-you.

So - today, I want to thank God for pets. Yup - pets.

I can't remember a time in my life when I've not had pets. Sometimes just one...but more times than not, several pets. Some good pets - and some not-so-good pets.

We are currently down to 3 animals in our house (okay, NOT counting the kids)....

...a sweet, friendly, smart 5-year old shih-tzu named Cocoa:

...a sweet, friendly, not-so-smart 3-year old cat named Juliet:

...and the king of our domain, who keeps ALL of us in line, a 3-year old alpha cat named Romeo:

Now, we looked for a long time before we brought Cocoa into our lives. She was the end result of a long and intense search for the "perfect" dog for the kids. And she has been all that - the perfect dog for a large family with kids and grandkids.

The cats - they were inherited. Rescued, if you will. Romeo was approximately 6 weeks old when he came into our lives; someone found him in a trash bag in the city dump. Can you believe it??!! Someone would throw out a kitten as if he was nothing more than garbage??!! I hope whoever did this burns in hell.

Juliet came into our lives 2 months after Romeo did - she was about 6 weeks old and was found abandoned in the parking lot near Kohl's at the mall. My mom actually found her - and promptly handed her over to me. My mom doesn't "do" cats.

I really didn't want a 2nd cat - but if you have a Romeo, you gotta' have a Juliet. Besides, she was pretty. And very soft.

Now, though, I wouldn't change any of it. The pets are a blessing - we love them, the kids love them - and we are a happier family because of them. They say that people with pets live longer, happier lives - and I believe that.

Besides - when I'm home by myself during the day - they give me someone to talk to. So I don't have to talk to myself. Not that I would ever do that.

Have a blessed day - and give YOUR pets a hug for me.

Peace.

No comments: