Saturday, September 19, 2009

Shiver Me Timbers


Ahoy, maties!

Today is “Talk Like A Pirate Day.”

Who THINKS of these things, anyway? And, more importantly, why??!

Anywho, pirates have always fascinated me. When I was a little girl, I secretly wanted to be a pirate when I grew up. I wasn’t sure if there were “girl” pirates, as I didn’t remember ever seeing them at Disneyland. But I knew they were pretty freakin’ awesome with the black clothes, the swords, and the “bling.” I loved the bling.

I know – don’t lecture me about how evil pirates were – I know, I know. I didn’t see that as a child. All I saw was the treasure they always seemed to be surrounded by. And I saw living on the high seas, sailing under a cool flag with a skull and crossbones. And I saw intense sword fights. Blimey - I wanted some of that action!

My children have grown up with Captain Jack Sparrow – and of course, to them, he’s the ultimate in cool. To me, he’s Johnny Depp – and who doesn’t like Johnny Depp, for heaven’s sake?! Johnny Depp could portray the Devil and I'd be mesmerized.

So, in honor of Talk Like A Pirate Day, I have a pirate joke to share:

A pirate and his parrot were adrift in a lifeboat following a dramatic escape from a valiant battle. While rummaging through the boat's provisions, the pirate stumbled across an old lamp.

Secretly hoping that a Genie would appear, he rubbed the lamp vigorously. To the amazement of the castaways, a Genie came forth. This particular Genie, however, stated that he could only deliver one wish, not the standard three.

Without giving any thought to the matter the pirate blurted out, "Make the entire ocean into rum!" The Genie clapped his hands with a deafening crash, and immediately the entire sea turned into the finest rum ever sampled by mortals. Simultaneously, the Genie vanished.

Only the gentle lapping of rum on the hull broke the stillness as the two considered their circumstances

The parrot looked disgustedly at the pirate and after a tension-filled moment spoke: "Now you’ve done it!! Now we're going to have to pee in the boat!”

Arrrrrrr……wasn’t that fun?!

Peace.

No comments: