Friday, October 2, 2009

Give It Away


Last week, I wrote a blog about garage sales – and I used my own twisted, sarcastic spin on some of the customers one deals with at such sales.

In all seriousness, though, we had a very successful garage sale. Part of that, I think, is because we really did have items priced ridiculously cheap. Things were priced to move – and move they did. Right out of my house and into others’ houses. But that’s okay. The old saying, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure” – is quite true; but I’m not saying what we were selling was trash. It was good stuff. Quality. We had a lot of comments on how good the stuff was…and how surprisingly cheap it was.

We also gave away quite a bit of "free" stuff during the sale. That was fun. People couldn't believe that something was free - they were looking for the "catch." No catch. Just a gift. Take it, please.

It’s a good feeling knowing that most of our treasures found a new home. Several times, while ringing up a sale, I commented, “I’m so glad this is going somewhere where it will be appreciated.”

Today, our pool table is moving from our house to a friend’s house – where it will be appreciated by the children of that house. We have a second pool table – did we need two? No; and so this one sold – for a really, really ridiculously low price. And I’m happy as I sit here, watching the movers move it out – knowing that my friend will enjoy it.

Do you have things that can be all but given away? Things that you don’t appreciate anymore – just sitting around, gathering dust? Things that someone else could be enjoying? Gather them up – give them away – move them out.

It will feel really good. Trust me.

Peace.

No comments: