Thursday, October 8, 2009

God Save the Queen


Recently, I’ve been a little under the weather. Considering that lately, even the weather has been a little under the weather – it’s not a big stretch. My head feels stuffy; my nose is runny; and I punctuate every thing I say with a giant sneeze. I don’t know who that’s driving more crazy – me or my family….probably my family. Because I’m to the point where I really. don't. care.

I have very high expectations when I am sick. I expect the world to stop rotating on its axis and all life, as we know it, to come to a screeching halt. This is, of course, so that the entire world’s focus can center on me and my needs when I’m not feeling good. I expect to be pampered and coddled and indulged by everyone who is in my kingdom. After all, I am the Queen (it says so right up there in the title of this blog) and isn’t that what one does for the Queen? Especially a sick Queen?

Unfortunately, this Queen is also a mom…and life does not stop when you’re a mom. Especially when the dad travels and is out of town a lot. So – this mom is still doing all the normal “mom” things – going into the office at work; coming home and fixing dinner; throwing laundry into the machine; paying bills; taking care of the pets; and helping with homework. All while sneezing, sniffling, and having a pity party.

Where are my ladies-in-waiting? Where are my attendants? Where is the court jester who can make me laugh and help forget about my cold? Did I give all this up when I signed on to being a mom?

Yeah, I guess I did.

Hmmmm….was it worth it?

Yeah, I guess it was.

Achoo.

1 comment:

mary said...

I'm just now catching up on your blog=hope your feeling better now. It sucks when your sick.