Monday, December 7, 2009

A Return to Routine


I have my life back. I am so excited! The house is about 95% done – but enough that I’m moved in and not stressing over “The Show.” And no more dozens of workers scurrying all over the place, which has been going on since June. We do have 2 painters still in the house, working on the wine cellar – but no more HORDES! I hate hordes.

I’m spending about 2 hours a day unpacking. No more. No less. That’s my goal. It’s a good feeling to see boxes get unpacked, things put in places, and feeling more every day that it’s “home.” My stuff is finding a new home – and some of it is working out pretty good. Some times, it’s not. The stuff is begging to find a “better” home – so it’s a work in progress. We’ll get there.

I am spending about 2 hours a day Christmas shopping. Online. No malls. It was nice to finally get started Friday – I normally do it very early and the frantic pace of the home remodel, moving – and of course, “The Show” – derailed my shopping this year. And I have 7 kids and 8 grandkids and in-laws and out-laws and family and teachers and friends to buy for. Grandkids always get books – that makes it easy. Every one else this year is getting something that will be “gone” by this time next year. No stuff. No dust collectors. Nope – I’m giving away food, drinks, or entertainment tickets – something to be used and to be gone within a year.

I am back in the American Red Cross office. It’s a volunteer position – but I was feeling a bit guilty that it wasn’t getting the time devoted to it like it needed. I am catching up on my emails and meetings and minutes….that’s a good feeling.

I am back to focusing on the kids. I admit, I was a terrible parent the last few weeks – my attention was diverted elsewhere and I lost track somewhat of what was going on in my kids’ lives. That’s changed. I’m sure they’re thrilled – they somewhat sort of liked living under the radar – but now the “parent spotlight AND microscope" is back on them.

I am back to taking care of me. Relaxing. Sleeping better. Eating better. Trying to exercise. Heck – I may throw caution to the wind and schedule a –gasp- massage! This morning, I went hog wild and actually put moisturizer on – I hadn’t done that in weeks! My skin went into shock – it had been feeling a little neglected lately, too.

As much as I thrive somewhat in disasters – or chaos – I actually love a very orderly, routine existence. I like schedules – I like the “sameness” of my life – and so the last few weeks – heck, months – has been stressful. This has been very nice the last few days to get back to just being me.

Just me. ☺ With a little Drama every now and then to spice things up! ☺

Peace.

Signature

4 comments:

lacochran said...

Congrats on getting the updates done and getting to be back in and enjoy your home! We will need to redo the kitchen at some point and the thought of having our lives disrupted and workpeople present every day is enough to make me keep putting it off...

Aunt Juicebox said...

I'm glad things are back to normal. Or as normal as they can be during the holidays. That's a good idea you have of giving away consumables. I do that with my two nephews most years, because the younger one breaks anything you give them, including video games, books and toys. He's a destructive little bugger.

Jenny said...

Holy cow, DQ, you are so right on track. Maybe you need to take one teeny tiny day off, though, just to recover from the tour!

Deidra said...

A little bit of normal is always good. And so is drama...