Saturday, July 24, 2010

Round in Circles



I always like to think of myself as a practically-perfect person in every way...and when something happens that shoots down that theory, I am not a happy person.

Take yesterday, for instance.

I had a Red Cross function to attend from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. It was what we call a "Community Disaster Education" program - where we work within a community, teaching disaster skills.

I had the address in hand and hopped into my car at approximately 9:15 a.m. Surely, 45 minutes was plenty of time to get to where I needed to be, right?

Wrong.

I began driving down the highway, and after plugging the address into my car's GPS system, and being repeatedly told, "That address is invalid," I was very, very frustrated. And very, very lost. I didn't have a clue as to where I should be going. (Apparently, the address I had been given was incorrect. But, little did I know this, initially.)

At one point, I found myself at the Kansas City Zoo. Seriously.

Numerous phone calls - to anyone and everyone whom I thought might be able to help me as I was whizzing down the highway at 65 mph - and much, much cursing and wailing and praying - I FINALLY arrived at the venue at 10:45 a.m.

90 minutes of pointless driving...unless seeing the same scenery as I circled 100 times counts for something....

And an empty tank of gas...

And 45 minutes late....

ARGH!!!!! I WAS NOT HAPPY!!!!

However, upon arrival, I put on my best smile, took a deep breath, and plunged right in, where we educated over 300 children and their families on home fire safety. It was a good day in the neighborhood. Even though it took me 90 minutes to FIND that freakin' neighborhood.

Peace.

Signature

1 comment:

Terri Steffes said...

You've just hit upon a pet peeve of mine.. not knowing where I am going. As another perfectly perfect person to another, I can understand your frustration.

Good for you~ those kids will be blest.