Monday, August 16, 2010

Weekend in Review: Cracking Watermelons




Oh, weekends...you come, you go, so fast, so sweet....

Friday night presented a huge dilemma for me...on one hand, we had season tickets to Starlight Theater to see "Beauty and the Beast." Call me a sentimental fool - but I love, love, love this musical...! I love Belle and Gaston and the Beast and Luminere and Mrs. Potts - need I go on?! However - it is an outdoor venue, and Friday night was, like, 115 degrees in the shade.

Friday night was also the FIRST pre-season game for the Kansas City Chiefs. Okay, call me a football fool,but I have been waiting for this night for MONTHS! I realize it's only pre-season - but it would be my first opportunity to see our new players, our new offensive coordinator, our new plays - on television, in the comfort of my air-conditioned home.

What to do, what to do? Beauty, or the Chiefs?

In the end, knowing that I don't tolerate heat very well, I sent Hubby and Daughter to see Beauty, while I stayed home to watch my football game.

In the end, I don't know who got the worst deal...Hubs and Daughter got drenched in a soaking, severe thunderstorm during the show - which ended up being called off 3/4 of the way through, due to the lightning and 60 mph winds...while I watched a horror show on TV, as the Chiefs lost to the Atlanta Falcons, 20-10. Grrrrr.

On Saturday, we were shocked, SHOCKED, when our doorbell rang and it was Hub's sister and her hubby....we have not seen them in a year, although they live a mere 20 miles away. They are very nice - but they aren't social creatures - and it was fantastic to see them. And thank goodness the house was clean - because, of course, they wanted a complete tour of the new house.

Saturday evening was date night for Hubs and I. We have season tickets to the American Heartland Theater, which is INDOORS and air-conditioned, thank goodness....The show we saw was the Tony-winning, "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee."



This show rocked. It rocked. We laughed so hard at times, we were crying...we couldn't catch our breath between jokes! Hubs said later, "I'd go back again next week to see that show." Which means a lot. Cuz' he doesn't often say that, let me tell you.

Anywho, if you EVER get a chance to see this show, DO IT! You will not be disappointed!

On Sunday, we had a family party for Hub's side of the family - a birthday party for Daughter, and a going-away party for our son-in-law, who left today for Army boot camp for 5 months.

The party was at our house, so I went to the grocery store to buy stuff for tacos, as well as pick up the cake and drinks. Hubs was dying to have watermelon at the party, so for $3.99, I got a 55-pound watermelon. You think I'm exaggerating on that - but I swear, it weighed 55 pounds.

While in the parking lot, I was lifting the watermelon from the grocery cart to put it into my trunk, when the unthinkable happened.

That huge sucker rolled right out of my arms and hit the concrete. THUNK!

Crack.

Oops.

Damn.

It wasn't TOO bad - just a crack right down the middle - so I picked it up, stuck it in my trunk, and drove hurridly home - knowing that watermelon juice was now soaking my back seat. Ew.

We had a great party last night - tacos, chocolate cake, peach cobbler (that I made - BY HAND, mind you!), ice cream, and, of course - watermelon.


Yum...it's supposed to be a beach, but I think HyVee dropped the ball on this one...which is better than dropping a watermelon!

And the best part of last night? Our daughter #2, along with her Hubs, showed up with the mixins' for chocolate martinis...and I learned how to make them - all by myself!!!!

Okay, that may not sound like much, but take a look at that Bucket/Life list on the side of my blog...See #5? Make a martini without a recipe!

I DID IT! I DID IT! And they were SOOOOOO awesome!

At one point, I added some Caramel ice-cream topping to the chocolate martini, and christened it the "Snickers" martini. Hey - not only can I make them without a recipe, I'm inventing new drinks!!!

How cool is that?!

Okay, it's not that big of a deal. But it was still exciting for me....

...And it sure was a whole lot better than watching the Chiefs implode on Friday night. Next time I watch football, I'm going to have a whole buffet of martinis in front of me.

I'll need them - if they continue to play like they did Friday night.

Peace.

Signature

No comments: