Sunday, December 12, 2010

Santa's Surprise




The telephone rings this morning, and a quick peek at the caller ID causes my stomach to drop.

It's from 21-year old son who is away at school.

Who never calls.

Not even when he needs money.

Which is, like, all the time.

So...why now? Why, on an early, snowy, chilly Sunday morning, is the son calling?

This can't be good news.

And it wasn't.

"Hi, Mom. I broke my nose last night."

Whah??!!

Actually, I knew something was up.

Thanks to Facebook, I'm able to somewhat keep up with my kids by checking their statuses on a daily basis...and this morning, my son had posted, "That pole kicked my A$$. Remind me not to pick a fight with it next time."

Pole? What pole? What does that mean? Did he run into a telephone pole?

Tangle with a stripper pole? (Hey - my mind is trying to cover all the bases here....)

None of the above.

My son was playing a midnight game of Dodgeball in the university gym, and in the process of "dodging", he dived headfirst into a volleyball pole.

A midnight run to the local hospital, where he received a Christmas gift of stitches and an x-ray confirmation of the break, and he's good to go.

And I'm soon going to receive the gift of a hefty E.R. bill.

Oh, the joys of the holiday season.

And unexpected gifts.

Peace.

P.S. Disclaimer: Son is doing well; it's a "small" break, per the physician, and son won't have to undergo surgery. I'm actually very happy that it is not has bad as it could have been - and no concussion.

Signature

No comments: