Sunday, May 8, 2011

Diapers and Hooligans




When I was a little girl, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.

A teacher.

Being a mother? Ehhhh....not so much.

Changing smelly diapers didn't sound appealing - and in my little girl's mind, that's pretty much what being a mother entailed.

Well, that - and chasing little hooligans to bed every night.

Didn't sound much like fun.

As I got older, however, I began to see some of the advantages of being a mother.

MOTHERS got to determine what families had for dinner every night.

MOTHERS got to determine what families watched on television every night.

And MOTHERS got to determine what clothes were hanging in the closets.

Hmmmm....maybe this Mother-thing wasn't so bad after all. Look at all that power. I love power.

Perhaps I should look into it further.

Once married, I began to have those "urges" to produce off-spring.

And a son was born.

I began to realize ALL of the things that Mothers did...more than deciding dinner, or television shows, or clothing options.

And it was good.

Really good.

And now, I have three kids and four bonus kids of my own - and I couldn't imagine NOT being a Mother.

To all of the moms out there - Happy Mother's Day...

To my OWN mom - who taught me everything I know about being a Mom and set the bar pretty high - Happy Mother's Day. You know I love you, tons.

And to my kids and my bonus kids - thank you for letting me be your Mom.

It truly is the best job in the world.

Even the smelly diaper part and chasing hooligans to bed.

Peace.

No comments: