Monday, June 13, 2011

Kindred Spirits

The weekend is over, and now I can relax.

Whew.

Friday night was "Tacos and a Movie" night in our house, and after wolfing down some delicious south-of-the-border delicacies, we settled in to watch "True Grit". We decided we liked the movie, but didn't love it - for some reason, the dialogue was a little difficult for us to comprehend sometimes...and we were hoping for a little less talk and a lot more action...but overall, a pretty good movie.

Saturday morning was spent driving my daughter back and forth to art classes she's now taking, mixed in with errands, chores and yard work. The weather was near-perfect, and it was nice to be outside for once and not have to worry about heatstroke.

That evening, Hubby and I headed to our favorite restaurant, The Grand Street Cafe, where we had a delightful dinner and conversation with Robert, a "regular" at Grand Street since it's opening. After a delectable dessert of orange-almond creme brulee (yum), we headed down to a local theater to watch "The 39 Steps."

I was expecting a drama, based on the movie that Alfred Hitchcock did back in 1935. What I didn't expect was Hitchcock done to Monty Python, because that's what was presented, and I'm tellin' ya', at one point I complained that my mouth hurt due to too much laughing!

Sunday afternoon, we headed to the Kansas City Zoo, as they were having a special event for members only after normal closing hours.

The temperatures were much cooler than normal, and the animals were loving it. I've never seen so many animals be so active - even the lions (who normally just sit and sleep) were up and about and roaring. A leopard walked over our heads; the monkeys were right up to the glass; and the turtles were munching away on delicious lettuce. I truly don't remember seeing not a single animal sleeping. Not one. Amazing.

My oldest son works at the Zoo, and we just happened to run into him at one point at an exhibit. We walked with us awhile, giving us a private tour of the exhibits, and I was a proud Mama to watch my son at work.

Going to the Zoo always leads us to the question of, "If you were to die and come back as an animal, what would you be?"

Daughter quickly chimed in with "cheetah", as she likes the fact that they can run really fast. We had just watched 3 of the cheetahs play a game of hide-and-seek in their pen, which was really amusing.

Hubby pondered and went into deep thoughts and finally answered "Tortoise." He likes their deliberateness and the fact that they live for a hundred years. I pointed out that I wouldn't want to live to 116 if all I did was sit in the same place, chewing lettuce. Blah.

Anyway, I've always known that for myself, I want to come back as a tiger. They're regal, they're beautiful, and they eat a small person with one gulp.

I didn't take a single picture at the Zoo with the exception of one, because it's almost as if these two are POSING for me.



The big guy up on top made eye contact with me for a full five minutes. I'm sure he was saying, "I like her. She's a kindred spirit."

Either that, or he was saying, "I like her. She looks tasty and would go good with ketchup."

So, what would YOU come back as?

Peace.

Signature