Thursday, June 9, 2011

A New Normal




I'd like to say my life returned to "normal" today, but I realize that I've been forever changed by my time spent in Joplin.

I baked a chocolate cake this morning, and I couldn't help but think of the people still staying in shelters or motels tonight, with their homes in ruins, and wondered when the next time they'll be able to bake a cake in their own oven.

I seriously considered baking a thousand chocolate cakes today and delivering them to the people of Joplin, just so they could have homemade chocolate cake tonight.

I took my car to the car wash this afternoon, and I thought about the 18,000 cars lost...with thousands of people still without any means of transportation.

I played a little bit more with my dog tonight, as I thought about the 500 pets still unclaimed after the storm...waiting to be reunited with their owners.

My oldest son is driving home tonight, and a tornado warning was issued in the area where he was driving...my anxiety shot through the roof, as I called him on his cell phone to reassure myself that he was okay....I guess this comes after seeing firsthand what a tornado can do.

I'm loving my family just that much more...I'm cuddling the pets just that much longer...and I'm going through my routine with a new appreciation for the blessings that God has given me in my life...knowing how much can change in the blink of an eye.

Peace.

Signature

1 comment:

LuAnne Lizotte said...

amen. my computer crashed right after you went to Joplin. I had a fit until I found you again. See what good friends you can make on the internet?