Saturday, October 22, 2011

Extreme Homemaker: Joplin



"MOVE!" "THAT!" "BUS!!!"

Know that phrase?

If you've ever sat down and watched an episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition, than you've heard the ebullient host, Ty Pennington, scream those words through his ever-present megaphone, prior to a well-deserving family getting a home of their dreams.

Pretty cool stuff.

Even more cool is that my Hubby got an opportunity to be one of the lucky volunteers today, working on those dream homes.

Extreme Makeover has been in Joplin, Missouri this week...doing an unprecedented "Seven Homes in Seven Days" build for their upcoming 200th Anniversary episode. (Set to air probably in January or February)

On May 22nd of this year, Joplin was the scene of the most destructive tornado in U.S. history - a monster storm that killed over 160 people, leaving thousands of homes and businesses destroyed. I spent almost 3 weeks in Joplin immediately afterwards, with the American Red Cross, providing food and other supplies to the people affected.

A few months ago, both Hubby and I applied online at www.joinextreme.com/joplin to be selected as volunteers to work on the build...seven homes...in seven days...for seven different families.

What a once-in-a-lifetime experience that would be, we thought....

A couple of weeks ago, I found out that we had both been selected...Hubby had been chosen for the October 22nd shift from 2:00 - 8:00 pm...while I had been selected to build a house at a later date...in Maine.

WHAH??

Yup.

Maine. Or possibly Massachusetts.

Either way, it was a long way from Joplin, and a long way from Kansas City.

I'm not sure how that mix-up occurred, but oh, well. Probably best that I not be hammering out construction so soon after the gallbladder surgery....right? That's what I'm telling myself, anyway, as I worked through my disappointment at the mix-up.

So, Hubby set off today for his unique volunteer experience...and he called a bit ago, on his way home, bubbling with enthusiasm and excitement on all that he had been a part of today.

Very well organized, he said. Lots of volunteers - hundreds, if not thousands. From all over the country.

All seven houses are in a row...on the same block...but all with different themes.

And yes, he DID get to see Ty Pennington - several times, in fact - as Ty walked around the job site...but he never got to hear Ty screaming into the megaphone.

We can't wait to watch this episode and "meet" the families who'll be moving into these special homes...and knowing all of the love that went into them from all of the volunteers....

Now...if only I can get myself to Maine...or Massachusetts...and work on the house that I got selected for....

Right.

Peace.

Signature

2 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

That is such good news! I am so glad your husband had this experience. Two families from my school were chosen as well. I hope they will share their experience with us all.

Maine. I hear it is a beautiful place...

KCSherri said...

Terri, I hear Maine is cold. Bleh.