Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Private Lessons




Times have certainly changed since I went to college.

Back in the Dark Ages of the 80's, I traipsed off to school and while choosing my electives, I picked from such exciting classes as "Disco Dancing" and "Archery" and "The Modernization of Women."

Fun stuff, I'm tellin' ya'.

Not really.

The most exciting class I took was "Psychology of Human Sexual Behavior" - which was probably more exciting on paper than it was in real life. Boring lectures by a boring professor...droning on all afternoon in the heat of a summer afternoon.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

All lecture and no videos - what was with THAT?!

So, imagine my shock today while sitting and chatting with a girlfriend about college classes being offered in this day and age.

I hadn't seen Pam in quite some time, and we both have sons who are freshmen at college. She was telling me what classes her son is taking this semester...

"He's got a history class, a math class, and an English class...." she begins.

"Very similar to what MY son is taking, too," I replied, nodding my head.

She then said, "Of course, he's got his private sex lessons."

Um.

Say WHAT?!

Gulp.

Although I didn't communicate verbally - as I was rendered speechless (which, if you know me, you know that doesn't happen very often) - I guess my shock was evident in my bulging eyeballs and agape mouth.

I'm not sure what was shocking me more...the subject matter of the class, or Pam's very calm mentioning of it to me.

His own mother.

Oh. Wait.

"SAX lessons."

Private SAXOPHONE lessons.

Amazing what a difference one little teeny-tiny vowel can make.

When she realized what I THOUGHT she had said, we both busted a gut and laughed and giggled and shrieked until we cried.

It puts a whole different spin on a Liberal Arts degree, doesn't it?!

Peace.

Signature

1 comment:

Mental P Mama said...

LOL...I would have done the exact same thing.