Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport



True confession time.

I am allergic to beef.

Now, think for a minute. I live in Kansas City - the home of the stockyards, as well as the famous Kansas City strip steak...so, being allergic to beef here is akin to growing up in Louisiana and being allergic to shrimp.

It's practically a sin.

I've dealt with my "disability" over the years by becoming what is known as a flexitarian - eating more plant-based meals and less meat. My "meat" is normally chicken, fish, pork, turkey or venison...and its worked out fine.

However, a new culinary experience the other night has me seriously considering becoming a kangatarian.

Yup. An actual word.

A kangaroo-based diet.

Sunday night, Hubby and I went to a French bistro here in town, Le Fou Frog, which is considered by some to be the best dinner in Kansas City you could possibly have.

Drinks were up first, and I couldn't decide between the chocolate martini or the chocolate raspberry martini. If you can read the descriptions of both, they both sounded equally tempting. I ended up choosing the raspberry chocolate martini.



Now...this was a fantastic drink. I mean, LOOK at it! It's a thing of beauty! However, if there was raspberry in there - I never tasted it. I'm going to assume that the waitress and/or bartender neglected to add the raspberry.


Do you see raspberry? I don't. Didn't taste it, either. Oh well.

On to the appetizer...we ordered the "fromage" - or cheese assortment. The waitress asked me, "Before I bring this, is there any cheese you don't care for?"

I just laughed. Lady - if it's a cheese? I like it. Bring it on.


The cheese tray was a thing of beauty...and it tasted as good as it looked. Yummy.

So, after some delicious soups, it was time to choose an entree. Here was a picture I took of their fish menu:



Normally, I'd go right for the salmon...but the red snapper intrigued me. I was leaning towards it, when I glanced down and perused the "meat" menu:



And there I saw it: Kangaroo.

Say what?? REAL kangaroo? Like the hopping, with a pouch kangaroo?

Waitress said, "Yup. A real kangaroo."

Okay. Really? How often do you get an opportunity to taste kangaroo? And knowing Le Fou Frog's reputation, I knew it would be good.

So I went for it. And here it is:



The kangaroo was simmering in a demi-glace of nutmeg, cinnamon and other sweet spices...and it was succulent. It was a tender meat - with a richness that I normally don't get to experience in my flexitarian diet.

Later that evening, I was all worried that I had perhaps eaten something rare and endangered, so after doing some research, I found that kangaroos are considered healthy, extremely low in fat, good for your heart & cholesterol, and organic.

Hence, the growing movement - especially in Australia - of kangatarianism.

Pretty cool.

My recommendation? I would definitely go back to Le Fou Frog - it is always in Kansas City's Top 10 restaurants, and it was easy to see why.

And I would definitely order the kangaroo.

Now. If I can just get raspberry with my chocolate, I would be a very happy girl indeed.

Peace.

Signature

No comments: