Monday, December 3, 2012

My Two-Ton Kindle



*


Last night, Hubby and I were having an enjoyable dinner conversation with our 13-year old daughter...discussing literature and theater, of all things.

The topics arose because Hubby & I have theater tickets this weekend to see a performance of the classic, "Les Miserables" - which I've only seen, like, a mere 132 million times in my lifetime, give or take a few, but regrettably, daughter has NEVER seen. Yes. We've been neglectful parents on educating our daughter in all things culture-like, it seems.

This negligence on our part became even more glaringly evident when Daughter expressed ignorance of what the story of "Les Miserables" is all about...and so I was trying, in layman's terms, to explain to a 13-year old the themes that are flowing through Victor Hugo's masterpiece.

"Have you ever read the book?" Daughter asked me, curious.

"Well...it's on my Kindle," I answered...a bit evasive...because, I'll be the first to admit it, SEEING "Les Miserables" is much easier than trying to READ it. The book's over 1,400 pages, for heaven's sake, and is considered one of the longest novels of all time.

And...as I said...I've only seen the play a gazillion times, so who needs to read it, anyway?...and not to mention, there's a MOVIE coming out any day now, with Hugh Jackman, no less, and yes, I'll be the first to admit, that I am SO totally a shallow person to be counting the days to see this particular rendering...with Mr. Jackman. Bite me.

Anyway...enough of Hugh Jackman (which, really, is an oxymoron, because, can you ever REALLY have enough of Hugh Jackman? I don't think so.)

Ahem. Back to the conversation last night...

"So...did you READ it? On your Kindle?" Daughter persisted.

"Not exactly....The book's a bit...heavy...if you know what I mean." I looked over at Hubby for confirmation on this, as I don't believe he's ever waded through Hugo's book, either.

The themes of politics, revolution, famine, love - set against the backdrop of the French Revolution - don't exactly make for "light" reading, so to speak.

Daughter pondered this for a minute...and then said, in all seriousness, "Oh. It must be a really thick book - to make your Kindle heavy."

.

.

.

.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

It's a wonder I can barely lift my Kindle at all...who knew that all of these "heavy" books were weighing it down??!!

Peace.

*Image from here

Signature

No comments: