Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Review: Spot Dessert Bar


...the one in which I discover that perfection DOES exist...



This would normally be an entry in our Cupcake Wars, the ongoing Quest for the Perfect Cupcake on our recent trip to New York City.

However...we made a slight detour this Sunday evening.

I had been reading about a newish and delightfulish dessert place in Manhattan called the Spot Dessert Bar.




This little place takes traditional desserts and puts an Asian twist on them, and it was getting RAVE reviews from normally-culinary-jaded New Yorkers...and so, I was intrigued.

Although the flagship Spot Dessert Bar is located at 13 St Marks Place, I saw that they had a satellite shop located in Korea Town - which was like, right across the street from the Empire State Building.

SCORE!!!

Without telling Hubby and Daughter where we were going, I led them on a very short walk to Food Gallery 32, located in the heart of Korea Town on 32nd Street. Hubby looked around dubiously when we entered the Food Gallery, as we were pretty much the ONLY tourists here, and we pretty much, therefore, stood out like a sore thumb.

I didn't care.

I was on a mission.

Grabbing Daughter by the end, I marched confidently through the Food Gallery to the back stairs, and then went up to the 3rd floor - and there it was:

Spot Dessert Bar.

It's NOT something you're going to just "stumble" upon - you pretty much have to know where to find it...but find it, you must.

Daughter, falling victim to the current macaroon craze that is sweeping New York City, went for some of these:



She was happy.

Hubby, with my nudging, got the Golden Toast, which is an interpretation of a French toast, made of a honey buttered toast, condensed milk ice cream, fresh strawberries and whipped cream:



Considering that not even a crumb was left when Hubby was done, I'm going to assume he loved it. And this is the guy who normally doesn't go for sweets.

As for me, I went for the jugular:



The #1 seller, Chocolate Green Tea Lava Cake.

THIS.

{bows in homage}

You must walk...no, make that RUN, to the nearest Spot Dessert Bar and indulge in this...this thing of perfection and beauty.

It may not have been a cupcake, but THIS was a true Perfect Dessert.

IT WAS PERFECT!!!!!!!

The location on St. Marks normally has a huge line/wait, but the Food Gallery location was empty...of course, it was 9:30 pm on a Sunday night - but hey, I love it when I don't have to wait for a piece of heaven.

With happy tummies, we caught the nearest subway back to the hotel room...where I discovered I had "only" walked a 19,256 steps this day on my pedometer. I'm obviously slacking.

Our day was done - and thus ends our Sunday, June 23rd.

Signature

No comments: