Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Boosting the Turtle

**


Living on a lake, I'm used to the other critters that share my living space - such as deer, skunk, possum, raccoons, fox - and the occasional snake. (And let me interject here by saying that it's the latter that really give me the heebie jeebies - and I always have one eyeball on the ground as I run, looking for ANYTHING that could be slithering or slathering, as the last thing I want is a Close Encounter of the Serpent Kind. EEP.)

This morning, I was plodding along on my daily run, when I saw a car up ahead suddenly stop in the middle of the road.

Curious, I watched as the driver got out, walked up to the front of his car, and then very carefully, picked up a turtle…and then moved the four-legged creature over to the side of the road, where he very gingerly laid him back down.

By now, I had ran up along side this very valiant rescue operation, and as the driver was turning to get back in his car, I couldn't help but have some fun, so I said, "Hey - why'd you do that? He was my pacer."

The driver stared at me blankly for a moment, and then quickly hopped in his car and took off.

He's obviously not a runner.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Anyway.

As I resumed my run, I got to thinking about that turtle…moving along, albeit very slowly, heading for some unknown (to us, anyway) destination. And how he suddenly got a boost by a driver who was concerned for his welfare and wanted to move him out of harm's way.

How often when I'm struggling - either as I run down a lonely lake road, albeit very slowly - or as I go through my day-to-day life - do I wish that some God-like hand will come down out of the sky and give me a "boost" to my destination…or at least, move me out of harm's way…?

It doesn't happen, and I'm left to plod along…one foot in front of the other…but eventually, when I finally DO reach the end of my destination - what a sweet, sweet journey it was….

Peace.

Signature


*Image from HERE

No comments: